|Welcome to the Church of St Gluvias, Penryn
St Gluvias with Penryn is a Church of England parish
in the Anglican Diocese of Truro
We are a living community, seeking to worship God and to grow in faith,
serving the people of the parish and the wider world
in the name of Jesus Christ.
Christian people have worshipped on this site since - and probably before - a church was dedicated on 25th July 1318 to St Gluvias the Martyr. It is our great delight to join with the whole people of God world-wide and through all ages in worshipping daily the One in whom we live and move and have our being.
We invite you to join us. We worship on Sundays at 10.00am for the Parish Mass and, on the first Sunday of the month, at 6.00pm also for Solemn Evensong and Benediction.
We serve refreshments in Church every Sunday morning after Parish Mass.
We regret that Children's Church is not currently available.
See our Church Diary page for details of Sunday worship and the Regular Worship page for weekday worship and other prayer and study resources. Check the Parish Notices immediately below for any detailed changes.
for the week beginning
Sunday 10th November 2013
Third Sunday before Advent
Services today and during the week - see Church Diary page.
WELCOME TO ALL TO ST GLUVIAS!
... to all at our services today: the Parish Mass will be slightly shorter than usual, and we cannot invite you to stay for tea/coffee after Mass as the Civic Service of Remembrance will follow shortly afterwards, with the assembly at the War Memorial at 5 to eleven.
Intentions at Mass this week:
- Today, we remember, with thanks, all those military personnel and civilians who gave their lives in two world wars and in many areas of combat since.
- We pray too for all who have returned with life-changing injuries, that their sacrifice may not be in vain, and that the world may come to know peace.
- We continue to pray especially for peace in the Middle East and war- torn parts of Africa.
- Pray for Isabella and Cory, being baptised next Sunday, their parents, Nina and Phillip, and their godparents.
Your prayers are asked also for:
- the sick and the bereaved - for all who have asked for our prayers.
- members of our congregation who cannot be with us and may receive communion at home
THIS WEEK'S NOTICES
- Thursday 14th November 7.30.pm. Deanery Lecture (See details below)
- Sunday 17th November 7.30.pm. Treverva Male Voice Choir Concert.
- Monday 18th November 11.00.am. Requiem Mass for June Furlonger, followed by interment of ashes.
- Tuesday 26th November 7.30.pm. Annual Requiem Mass for Guild of the Servers of the Sanctuary. All are welcome.
- Wednesday 27th November 2.00.pm. W.I. Party for blind and visually impaired.
- Saturday 30th November 9.30.am - 12.30.pm. Christmas Fayre
Please remember the Christmas Fayre on 30th November. If you can offer to run a stall, tell John or Roger: meeting after Mass on 17th November to finalise arrangements.
As before, we will be running a Christmas Draw to be drawn at the Fayre at midday. Tickets are now available, and our thanks to Chris Gardner for getting things organised and obtaining the donation of an attractive prize. Please offer to buy and sell as many tickets as possible: see Chris, Chris or Lillian to collect your tickets.
Autumn Deanery Lecture THURSDAY 14th NOVEMBER 7.30.pm.
John Pearce, a Rotarian, will deliver a lecture on... Projects to bring clean and safe water to the indigenous populations in Uganda
Christmas cards designed by students of Richard Lander School will be available, with all proceeds going towards the projects in Uganda. Light refreshments will be served.
Venue: Ord Slatter Pavilion, Mylor Bridge.
Everyone welcome to come to this lecture: we hope that you will be there.
Archbishop Justin has been encouraging the set-up of Credit Unions. Kernow Credit Union opened a Truro operation last Wednesday and is available at 17 sites around Cornwall including Penryn and Falmouth. An information sheet is available on the tract table: please help yourself.
Google Kernow Credit Union, or Roger will be glad to do so for you, and give you details/times.
Monday 11th November at 7.00.pm. Feast of St Martin of Tours. Corporate Communion for Traditional Anglicans (Faith and Order) in support of the Society of SS Wilfred and Hilda at St Michael’s, Penwerris. Preacher: Fr Sam Philpott, SSC, Regional Dean of Forward in Faith.
Monday 18th November: 11.00.am. Requiem Mass for June Furlonger. No flowers please, but donations may be made to the family’s chosen charity, the MND ASSOCIATION.
Thank you to all who contributed to the SHOE BOX APPEAL, giving time and money, with the result that 160 boxes were despatched on Thursday to go to children in various countries who would otherwise not receive Christmas presents.
WANTED - MAGAZINE EDITORS!
Fresh new Editors are needed for the magazine (the old ones are tired out!). Have you the skills and determination needed to be a MAGAZINE EDITOR? A team of at least two is needed to publish the Parish Magazine from the January 2014 issue. Offers to Fr Stephen, please, SOON!
Help and guidance available for ‘newbies’ from Chris and Richard (who wrote this notice).
Please leave ITEMS FOR THE NOTICE SHEET in the wallet underneath the social notice board (by the door) - information may be left there by 2.00.pm. Friday, or send by e-mail to roger.clarke [at] stgluvias[dot]org[dot]uk ...
Replace the [at] with the '@' symbol and the [dot] with a full stop - (this representation is intended to stop collection of addresses for spam use.)